Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Muscal ABCs! - N

I know we've gotten a touch off of schedule, what wiff da New Year and holidaze and all that crap. But don't fret my beautiful like basketcases! Musical ABCs are back with anotha round of tunetastico show 'n' tell! Now enough wiff da nagging and nobby nuisancing. Let's all navigate our nogginz and blab about our favorite neato songs that begin wiff the noisy Mr. N!


"The Nurse Who Loved Me" by A Perfect Circle


"I'm taking her home with me, all dressed in white."

Okay...I have to make a statement before I begin or else mah sister will punch me in the jaw...A Perfect Circle did not do the original version of dis herre track. The writers & original composers are the band Failure. However, since I've listened to the APC version a million times (cuz durh...it's on mah sleepytime/sad playlist!) and since that is the version I heard first, I will be largely focusing on their cover. But since I iz fair, I will post both versions below [feat. y'all readers rolling ur eyez and not giving a shet].


Anywayz! A Perfect Circle was/is a modern rock group that was largely thought of as the more commercially acceptable, yet still immensly talented side project of Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan. As I've said before, back when I was 12 or some shit, I only listened to two CDs over and over again [see: Natalie Imbruglia's Left of the Middle & the soundtrack to Forest Gump], mah sister Melody took it onto herself to enlighten me to a broader spectrum of musica. It was through her that I discovered Deftones, Incubus & A Perfect Circle.


Now, dis herre song is not only musically quite pleasing, but it also charms the poetic pants off of me! I could very well see the lyrix jotted down in some confessionalist poet's thought journal! The song is from the perspective of a mental patient who has fallen madly in lurrrve wiff his nurse. He is delusional and believez that she is all hawt & enamored with him as well and dat they will have a vunvervill life togethz. As the listener, we know he is full of malarky which makes it heartbreakingly sad to see him all Lady gaga ova this hot bitch.


The Failure version of the song is somewhat of a straight forward rock track, but what I lurrrve about the A Perfect Circle cover is how calming the music itself is, juxtaposed to how depressing & downright creepy the werdingz are! You be the judge...which do you like most?!


A Perfect Circle



Failure


runners-up:
"Natural Blues" by Moby
"Northern Downpour" by Panic! At the Disco
"Nothing Better" by The Postal Service
"The New Girl In Town" by Brittany Snow


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, I'm first!

Josh, hard for me to say which version of the song I like best. I like both for different reasons, but I must say, the Perfect Circle cover is more moody and almost eerie, so fits the subject matter of the song better.

Big "HEY THERE" to anne marie! I beat you this time girl! Here's my "N" songs so far. You just may recognize some!

#1 favorite "N" song is, has always been, and probably always will be..."Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues
"Need Her Love" - Electric Light Orchestra
"New York State of Mind" - Billy Joel
"Nobody Loves Me Like You Do" - Whitney Housten
"New Horizons" - Moody Blues
"Norwegian Wood" - Beatles
"Nightrider" - ELO
"Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out" - Eric Clapton
"No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley
"Neither One of Us" - I love the original by Gladys Knight, but I think the Jennifer Hudson cover is AMAZING!
"Now and Forever"- Air Supply
"Nowhere Man" - Beatle
"Never Comes the Day" - Moody Blues
"Night Moves" - Bob Seger
"New Kid in Town" Eagles

That's it! But I believe I'll be back, I so feel like I missed some good ones. Maybe anne marie can refresh my memory!

Chris D. said...

I like the A Perfect Circle version best. I think I need to take better advantage of your musical taste. You've introduced me to a number of interesting songs that made me feel good and/or interesting. Thanks!

I think I need more and different music in my life. I've fallen into the habit of just listening to whatever the radio plays for me as background music or falling back on a few of my old favorites. My life needs a richer soundtrack.

Anonymous said...

Again, I forgot to sign off. How do I get one of those blog names Josh, so I don't have to keep signing off after I post a comment?

Oh yeah, I just thought of another "N" song already...
"New York, New York" - Frank Sinatra

Love, mom

Anonymous said...

O.K., one more time... I said I forgot some songs, here's another, then I'm done. For tonight anyway.
"Nice to Know You" - Incubus

Love, mom

Ryan said...

I love Nothing Better!

My faves:

Nerdy ~ Busted
Never Be Lonely ~ The Feeling
Never Enough ~ Holiday Parade
Never Gonna Leave Your Side ~ Daniel Bedingfield
Newport Living ~ Cute Is What We Aim For
Nice Guys ~ We Are Scientists
No Apologies ~ Levi Kreis
No Fear ~ The Rasmus
No Reaction ~ Relient K
No Typical Thursday Night ~ The Downtown Fiction
Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt ~ We Are Scientists
Noise and Kisses ~ The Used
Not Falling Apart ~ Maroon 5
Number Five With A Bullet ~ Taking Back Sunday

Tam said...

As usual with a slight (huge) Canadian slant,

Never Too Late - Hedley
No Love - Simple Plan
Not Meant to Be - Theory of a Deadman
Nothing Special - Ill Scarlett
Never Too Late - Three Days Grace

I'm at work so don't have access to most of my music.

anne marie in philly said...

(waves to josh's mom)

HEY GIRLFRIEND! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

ya beat me fair n square...

1999 - prince
never gonna give you up - rick astley
never my love - the association
99 red balloons - nena
nothing's gonna stop us now - starship
no rain - blind melon
need you now - lady antebellum
nights are forever without you - england dan & john ford coley
nevermind - nirvana
nobody told me - john lennon
new york mining disaster 1941 - bee gees
no no song - ringo starr
nothing compares 2 U - sinead o'connor
nature boy - nat king cole
no time - guess who
na na hey hey goodbye - steam
new york minute - don henley
not enough love in the world - don henley
not fade away - buddy holly

do any of these bring back memories?

Michelle M. said...

I think I like the Failure verion best.

"Never Let Me Down" Depeche Mode
"New World in the Morning" Roger Whittaker
"No Ordinary Love" Sade
"Night Fever" and "Nights on Broadway" Bee Gees
"No Diggity" Blackstreet
"No More Lonely Nights" Paul McCartney
"No Questions Asked" Fleetwood Mac
"No Tell Lover" Chicago
"Nobody Does it Better" Carly Simon
"Not a Virgin" Poe

hoteltuesday said...

#1 - "Name" by The Goo Goo Dolls

Runners-Up:
"Not Like The Movies" by Katy Perry
"Never Coming Back" by The Early November
"Nicest Thing" by Kate Nash
"No One" by Alicia Keys

Others:
"Not Falling Apart" by Maroon 5
"Not the Sun" by Brand New
"Northern Downpour" by Panic! at the Disco
"Nobody Knows Me At All" by The Weepies
"Nineteen" by Tegan and Sara
"No" by Shakira
"Not Ready To Make Nice" by The Dixie Chicks
"Not Dead Yet" by The Weepies
"No Good at Saying Sorry (One More Chance)" by The Early November
"No Tears on my Pillow" by Mya
"Nevermind Me" by Maria Mena
"No Boys" by Leona Naess
"Notion" by Kings of Leon
"Never Say Never" by The Fray
"No One's Gonna Love You" by Cee Lo Green
"Not Like Any Other" by Tina Chen
"Not Gonna Get Us" by t.A.T.u.

Anonymous said...

A Perfect Circle's version, hands down!

Well, I will once again pick from other lists- w/o shame may I add.

Need Her love- ELO (beautiful song, makes me want to cry, especially after drinking my black russian drink tonight)

Nobody loves you when you're down and out- Eric Clapton (ain't that the truth)

No Woman, No Cry- Bob Marley

New York State of Mind- Billy Joel

Nice to Know You-Incubus

Nobody Told Me- John Lennon

Nothing Compares to You- Sinead O'Connor (only song I know of hers, but loved it the moment I heard it)

No Ordinary Love- Sade

No More Lonely Nights- Paul McCartney

Norwegian Wood-Beatles (what can I say? a classic.)

and more added to the list after some searching and limited thinking...
Never Gonna Get It & No Fool No More-En Vogue...love En Vogue, truly the best harmonies of a girl group. And it brings back my highschool days in a heartbeat-not that I care to ever re-live them! :)

You know? It was hard to think of good "n" songs, not many good ones out there.

Well, perhaps I will have more luck with the letter O.

Love,
Cindy