Saturday, October 30, 2010

My Musical ABCs! - J

I am so sad! WEEPY FACE CRY POUT! Mah last Musical ABCs garnered only 10 commentz! Are y'all get mad bored?!!? Don't let this ship go down JUST yet! We're not even halfway through the alphabetz yet! Let's shake off the last installments jeering results and jet forward with our juiciest and jazztastic favo songz that begin wiff da letter J! Now even though Mr. J stood for "Jumbled Junk," I'm sure all of your musical choices are anything but garbage-like! Share wiff me!

"Jesus Christ" by Brand New


"My bright is too slight to hold back all my dark."


Funny how last week's Musical ABC was probably the jolliest & most sunshiniest track to probz make my alphabetalist, and this week's entry is most definitely the most depresso espresso of the bunch. "Jesus Christ" by Brand New is one of mah top 3 favorite songs of all time ever (along with my B & soon-to-be-revealed M selections)!

I knew all about Brand New after downloading their first two album via mah college's beautiful peer-2-peer file-sharing network, and while I enjoyed their spunky and oft pensive scream jamz, there were soooo many different artistz I was listening to heavily @ the time, that they always ended up playing 2nd banana to other peepz.

However, that all changed when I got their 3rd disco compacto, The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me. It took mah ass by surprise! No longer just whining and lamenting over st00pid grrrlz that wouldn't get all sexxxytime with them, the material on this album was darker [read as: better], scarier [read as: better] and way more atmospherically jarring [read as: better] than their previous outingz.

And by far the best track on the album is the lyrical masterpiece, "Jesus Christ." It's all about questioning your life's game and reflecting on the validity and value of your spiritual & emotional beliefs. It's kind of like R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion" only NOT old and much, much sadder [read as: better...do you catch a trend here??]. The werdingz are poetically astonishing and the guitar in the beginning is what I want to play on repeat @ my funeral drunken stripper Jell-O shot party death memorial service.


I suggest listening to it on repeat if you A) Have good taste in music; B) Regularly engage in modern day religious banteringz; or C) Like to have weekly 60-minute cry sessions by yourself & need a soundtrack fitting to the feng shui of your sobfest (ala me).




runners-up:

"Jóga" by Björk
"Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction
"Jamais Vu" by Dredg
"Jingle Bell Rock" by Cady Heron, Regina George, Gretchen Wieners & Karen Smith

10 comments:

hoteltuesday said...

#1 - "Jesus Christ" by Brand New

Runners-up:
"Jóga" by Björk
"Jolene" by The Weepies
"Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine" by The Killers
"Just Missed the Train" by Kelly Clarkson
"Just Hold Me" by Maria Mena

Others:
"Jen Is Bringing The Drugs" by Margot and the Nuclear So and So's
"Just A Little Bit" by Maria Mena
"James and the Cold Gun" by Kate Bush
"Jealousy" by Paris Hilton
"Just a Feeling" by Maroon 5

Anonymous said...

"J" was a tough one at first, but I did come up with some songs I do love!

"HiYa" to anne marie! Can't wait to see your list, cause I'm sure there's some good ones I couldn't think of.

#1 is "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers
"Jammin'" by Bob Marley
"Julia" by the Beatles
"Joe Hill" by Joan Baez
"Jet" by Paul McCartney and Wings
"John, I'm Only Dancing" by David Bowie
"Jukebox Hero" by Foreigner
"Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" by the Rolling Stones
"Jingle Bell Rock" the original by Bobby Helms

Josh, I noticed you crossed out "Jingle Bell Rock" on your list. Is that a cover of the same song, or a different one? That song takes me back to my childhood, it used to be one of my moms favorite xmas songs. I used to love to watch her sing and dance around the kitchen to it. So it's a little sad too, cause it reminds me of how I miss her, especially at Christmas.
I like your #1 "J" song, but it is sort of depressing. I really like the guitar in it.

Love, mom

Ryan said...

I love Brand New's Jesus Christ. I would also add their Jaws Theme Swimming.

Other songs:
Jenny ~ Terra Namoi
Jerry Springer ~ Weird Al Yankovic
Jesse's Girl ~ Rick Springfield
Jump ~ Lee Ryan
Jumper ~ Third Eye Blind
Just My Luck ~ McFly

A lot fewer songs than last time. "Just" seems to be the dominant word.

anne marie in philly said...

(waves hi to josherz's mom) you beat me to the punch again, girlfriend! this letter is much harder than the last! but here goes...see if I bring back memories...

jump - van halen
jump for my love - pointer sisters
just the way you are - billy joel
jesus christ superstar - murray head
jessie - carly simon
just a-walkin in the rain - johnny ray
jimmy jimmy - madonna
jam up & jelly tight - tommy roe
just the way that I am - martina mcbride
jesus just left chicago - z z top
jim dandy - laverne baker
james dean - eagles
just a gigolo - david lee roth
jump jive & wail - louis prima
joanne - michael nesmith

john said...

Jai Ho- A.R. Rahman
James Brown Is Dead- L.A. Style
Josie & The Pussycats- Josie & The Pussycats
July- The Innocence Mission
Just Got Lucky- Jo Boxers
Justified & Ancient- The KLF & Tammy Wynette

adam said...

I went through all my .mp3's and I only have 3 songs that start with J:

Just The Way You Are (Billy Joel)
Jeremy (Pearl Jam)
Jesus Walks (Kanye)

Michelle M. said...

"Jeopardy" Greg Kihn
"Joey" Concrete Blonde
"Juicy" Better Than Ezra"
"Just a Song Before I Go" Crosby, Stills and Nash
"Just Another Day" Oingo Boingo
"Just Remember I Love You" Firefall
"Just the Two of Us" Bill Withers

Melody, Destroyer of Dreams said...

Jamais Vue and Joga are both on my list as well as these:

Jeremy-Pearl jam

Jar of Flies-Alice in Chains-ok, so this is actually an album-but it is one of my fave albums of all time and it starts with a J so there haha...

Judith-A Perfect Circle

Jealous Guy-John Lennon

Jimmy-Tool

Just a Phase-Incubus

Anonymous said...

Hey there anne marie, you did bring back some memmories! Can't believe I forgot "Just the way you are", and "Jesus Christ Superstar", as well as some others you mentioned.
My husband thought of "Jailhouse Rock", but it's not one of my favorite songs, and I'm not an Elvis fan, so I didn't add it to my list.

Josh's mom

Melody honey...how could I have forgotten "Jealous Guy"? I love that song!
Love, mom

Melody, Destroyer of Dreams said...

Yes Mom-it is one of my favorite Lennon songs!