Sunday, October 3, 2010

My Musical ABCs! - H

Hooray! I hope you're all happily hopping in your computer chairs hoping to have a hum-dinger hi-howdy adventure on mah blog today. If you couldn't tell from my desperate/pitiful attempt to use a bunch of H-words in one sentence, it's time for everyone to share their favo songz that feature the sick-looking Mr. H!

"Hotel Paper" by Michelle Branch

"You turned out to be more than a bargained for."


She was the proverbial key too all of mah lonely/angry/melancholy/infinitely sad high school emotionz. When I first came across Michelle Branch, I felt "Damn...finally someone understandz how mean & twisted boiz are and how love is da center of all misery and pain." Sure, I was just a 16-year-old closet case wiff an affinity for crushing on hot st8 d00dz [note: not actually hot now that I reflect on them] and letting my heart be bruised seven timez a minute by ever little ting that farted mah way.


After I would cry my way through school, I'd gallop home, throw my weepy ass onto my bed and blast M. Branch while scribblin' her werdingz all over my notebookz imagining myself singing one of her numerous hopelessly romantic balladz to all ThE GuyZ wHo DiD mE WrONg In Da pAsT. Then I'd forget to do my homework, fail all my classes and then be depressed about that as well! YAY!


So Michelle Branch was kind of like a third older sister for me. Always there to relay to me her own personal stories of lost innocence, virginal desirez and other girly crap like dat. The day she released her second album, Hotel Paper, mi amiga Laura & I sprinted outta skool when the bell rang and raced on over to Best Buy. We went up to the register wiff 4 copiez of the album - one for each of us and the other two for friends with upcoming birfdayz - and giggled like schizophrenic hyenas when the check-out cholita gave us the stinkeye.


That entire album [sans a really mediocre duet with burnt-voiced Sheryl Crow aka one of mah least favorite singers of all time] is epic to me and the title track is especially poignant. It's all about being on the road and suffering through an endless case of the sadz and lurrrving d00dz that don't lurrve you back. HEARTBREAK = LOVEZ IT.


I went through a phase where i was absolutely convinced that once I turned 18, I was gonna get some song lyrix inked onto my bod. And I had planned to [read as: dreamt about wiff no real intentionz of committing to] get a line from dis herre song permanently jotted onto my wrist: "I lie lonely surrounded by you." But then I came up with a list of 58,923,536 other songs I just had to have tatted on me and since I am not as attractive as Mr. P!nk [aka Carey Hart], I decided to drop the whole idea.


But I haven't dropped Michelle Branch from mah vida altogether! I am anxxxiously awaiting new music from her and very well might shrivel up y die if she doesn't get a new album out SOOOOOOOON! The wee little sad puppy teenager inside me NEEDZ IT!


runners-up:
"Here Is Gone" by Goo Goo Dolls
"Hedgehog's Dilemma" by The Postman Syndrome
"Hangman" by Motion City Soundtrack
"Hit 'Em Up Style (Oops!)" by Blu Cantrell



16 comments:

Delisa said...

"Hang Me Up To Dry" - Cold War Kids
"Had Enough" - Breaking Benjamin
"Hallelujah" - Rufus Wainwright or Justin Timberlake version
"Hero" - Regina Spektor
"Hand that Feeds" and "Head Like A Hole" - Nine Inch Nails
"Hometown Glory" - Adele
"Hurt" - Johnny Cash cover
Hands Down" - Dashboard Confessional
"Halfway Home" and "Hey Love" - Jason Mraz
"Harder to Breathe" - Maroon 5
"Higher Ground" - Stevie Wonder

There were a lot of "H" songs for me!

anne marie in philly said...

I'm first!

happiness is a warm gun - beatles
helter skelter - beatles
here and now - luther vandross
honey - bobby goldsboro (YUCK)
hot stuff - donna summer
hot hot hot - buster poindexter
hot blooded - foreigner
here comes the sun - beatles
how bizarre - OMC
here I go again - whitesnake
hold on to me - fleetwood mac
hush hush - pussycat dolls
hush - deep purple
heartbreak hotel - elvis
hotel california - eagles
hi-dee-ho man - cab calloway
harmony - elton john
holiday - madonna
high time we went - joe cocker
hoop-dee-do - perry como
here you come again - dolly parton
heart and soul - t'pau
hound dog - elvis
hit me with your best shot - pat benatar
highway to hell - ac/dc
hot and cold - katy perry
hold on - wilson phillips
hey joe - jimi hendrix
hypnotized - fleetwood mac
how do I know when it's love - van halen
hungry heart - bruce springsteen
he don't love you - jerry butler
have you heard - the duprees
higher and higher - jackie wilson
he thinks he'll keep her - mary chapin carpenter
hips don't lie - shakira
hey ya - outkast
hey baby - bruce channel

now let's see if josherz mom can top THIS list! (waves to mom)

Ryan said...

Handcuff My Soul ~ Levi Kreis
Hard To Beat ~ Hard-Fi
Hard Luck Town ~ The Johnson Twins
Hate to Say I Told You So ~ The Hives
Headstrong ~ Trapt
Heart Clean ~ Billy Dortch
Helicopter ~ The Feeling
Hello Mexico ~ Sparks to the Rescue
Housewife ~ Jay Brannan

I discovered along the way, that I have 10 songs called "Home."

Jujubeeohiluvu said...

Hallelujah-Jeff Buckley (JUST DOWNLOADED IT!)
Here's the Thing- Girl Talk
Hello Bonjour- Michael Franti
(H)Tuesday Morning- Michelle Branch

But what I really wanted to say was my Hotel Paper album got hopelessly scratched because I care so much about my CDz... but the only song that remained skip free was "Love Me Like That" and so I guess that's what I get for making fart sounds as I skipped it every time it came on. Karmaz a bitch.

However, crisis averted, Vuse to the rescue, I have a new copy, and will be unchecking the box on iTunes beside "Crap you Like WHAT!?", so I will never hear it, ashamed of its existence on an otherwise perfect album. Good post!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I have a little list here, with the help of elyrics.net. All I have to do is type in my fav artists and I can get a list of songs! Much easier. I may add another list by the end of the week!

* Hey Jude; Here There and Everywhere; Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles

* Hotel California - The Eagles

* Harmony; Honky Cat - Elton John

* Hey You; Have a Cigar - Pink Floyd

* Heartburn; How Come You Don't Call Me - Alicia Keys

That's all for now! :)

-Cindy

Michelle M. said...

"Home" and "Halo" Depeche Mode
"Handyman" James Taylor
"Hurt" Christina Aguilera
"Hey 19" Steely Dan
"Hello It's Me" Todd Rundgren
"Heartbreaker" Pat Benatar
"Hey Jealousy" Gin Blossoms
"Hummingbird" Seals and Crofts
"Have You Never Been Mellow" and "Hopelessly Devoted To You" ONJ
"Haunted" Poe

Anonymous said...

anne marie, you beat me again!!
You have a great list, Yay for Hot Blooded and Hit me with Your Best Shot. I did pick some of yours, and a few more I'm sure you'll know. Let's see...

Happy Christmas (war is over)-the Beatles
Hey Jude-the Beatles
Have a Cigar-Pink Floyd
Hey You-Pink Floyd
Honesty-Billy Joel
Hotel California- the Eagles
Happiness is a Warm Gun-the Beatles
House of the Rising Sun-the Animals
Here Comes the Sun-the Beatles
Harmony-Elton John
Hot Fun in the Summertime-Sly and the Family Stone
Heaven Can Wait-Meatloaf
Hey Soul Sister-Train
Heroes-David Bowie
Hey Joe-Jimi Hendrix
How Can I tell you-Cat Stevens
Haitian Divorce-Steely Dan
Happy Together- the Turtles
Help-the beatles
Hemmorage(in my hands)-Fuel

Well, there you have it...for now!
So many excellent "H" tunes, I know I missed some.
Waves back to you anne marie!

Josh, I do like Michelle Branch, what a nice song!

Hugs, mom

Anonymous said...

I love "Hopelessly Devoted to You" Michelle! I just watched Grease for the billionth time the other night. Mom, once again, I must claim all of your list for my own!
;) Fantastic list, "Heaven Can Wait"...how could I forget that one?!, "Hemmorage" another great one, "Hey Soul Sister" love it!

-Cindy

Laura said...

I LOVE HAVING LOVE ME LIKE THAT UNCHECKED!

Also that betch worked at Best Buy so I don't know wHy she was judging us and I also love us driving around feat. top down (because nothing says "I hAvE lOtS oF fEeLiNgS" like trying aimlessly in a convertible) listening to the whole CD immediately.

and you know, the 15 freshmen that died as we ran to the parking lot and sped away.

wipal - the sound a freshman makes when you splatter it across the road can su coche

callonmevalerie said...

They need to do more interviews with artists when they talk about specific songs (feat. P!nk talking about Mean - UGH H(E)ARTBREAKING!!!)

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (my second go-to cry song)
Hang On Little Tomato - Pink Martini
Hang With Me (Acoustic and not acoustic) - Robyn
Happily Ever After -Once Upon A Mattress soundtrack (one of my favo broadway belt songs!)
Happy Ending- MIKA (feat. CRYAPALOOZA)
Happy Nation - Ace Of Base
Harder To Breathe - Maroon 5
He Loves U Not - (It Was All A) Dream
Head Over Feet - Alanis Morissette
Heal Over - KT TUnstall
Heartbreak (Make Me A Dancer) (feat. Sophie Ellis-Bextor) - Freemasons (one of the songs who's lyrics I've seriously contemplated tattooing myself with)
Hearts Collide - Little Boots
Heaven On Earth - Britney Spears (this and the previous song are both the best Kylie Minogue songs that she never recorded)
Hell - Squirrel Nut Zippers
Hello - Christina Aguilera (and the Lionel Richie "Hello" is pretty good to sing along to, yes)
Hide and Seek - Imogen Heap
Hoedown Throwdown - Miley Cyrus (hahahaah)
Hold My Hand - Hootie & The Blowfish (yes, I actually really enjoy this song, and would always come on at the bar and I'd be like WTF but still sing along . . . memories!)
Hole In The Head - Sugababes
Holiday From Real - Jack's Mannequin (the other song I've seriously considered getting a tattoo of, hmm, weird they're both H's)
Home - Marc Broussard (but better done by the Duke Pitchforks)
Home - Michael Buble
Hot & Bothered - Lucy Woodward
How Come You Don't Call Me? - Prince
How Long Has This Been Going On? - Kristin Chenoweth (I don't remember what show this is from, but she does it fabulously)
Hurricane - Something Corporate

Damn, there were a lot of H songs.

anne marie in philly said...

(waves to josherz mom)

damn, girlfriend, I seemed to have missed several good ones! spouse can't believe we forgot "happy xmoose" (his fave holiday song)

Hey Soul Sister - quite a bouncy little tune there.

I LERVES these musical journeys!

seo consultant said...

Thanks for sharing this valuble information I also bookmark this link and share with my friends

john said...

Hackensack by Fountains of Wayne
Hands/Mind by Adam and Darcie
Happy Birthday by Altered Images
The Hottchord Is Struck by Still Flyin
Hyperactive by Thomas Dolby
Hell by Tegan and Sara

David said...

Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
Higher Love - Steve Winwood
Happy Phantom - Tori Amos
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk
Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Buble
Hole Hearted - Extreme
Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright

hoteltuesday said...

1st place:
"H.A.T.E.U" by Mariah Carey

2nd place:
"Here Is Gone" by Goo Goo Dolls

Runners-Up:
"Howl" by Florence + The Machine
"Hate This Place" by Goo Goo Dolls
"Hyper-ballad" by Bjork
"Heart Skipped a Beat" by The xx

Others:
"Headlock" & "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap
"Hotel Paper" by Michelle Branch
"How Far" and "How I Feel" by Martina McBride
"Hometown Glory" by Adele
"Halo" by Beyonce
"Hand Me Down" by Matchbox 20
"He's Hurting Me" by Maria Mena
"Hackensack" by Katy Perry
"Hands On Me" by Vanessa Carlton
"Hands in the Sky (Big Shot)" by Straylight Run
"How To Save A Life" by The Fray
"Hold My Heart" by Sara Bareilles
"Hummingbird Heartbeat" by Katy Perry

Anonymous said...

I thought of another good one...

Half a Century High by Phil Ochs, a fantastic song, written and performed by a man that was one of the pioneers and tragic hero of the peace movement, as well as a political civil rights activist.

-Cindy