Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Musical ABCs - A!

In an attempt to continue mah streak of decreasing my comment numero get me and mah beautifully eclectic and intelligent bloggy readerz chatterboxing wiff one another, I thought I'd play a little musical ABC game! I found myself looking at my iTunes Windows Media Player and organizing my entire music catalog alphabetically by song. It got me tinking, that out of every song I've ever heard, what's mah favo track that beginz wiff each letter of the alphabet? FUN IDEA RIGHT? (...right?!)

So here's how it goes, I will do one letter an entry and reflect on what my personal favo songs are. Then y'all can post ur preferences and we can all discuss how awesome our respective tastes in musica are! (Here'z to wishful tinking!)

I even got mah childhood clan of educational tomfoolery, The Letter People, to join in on the fun and aid you all if you forget how da alphabet works! Now let's get started!

"All Things Ordinary" by The Anniversary

"Between the two of us, we're strong enough. I feel that in your touch."

Yeah...I couldn't have started off wiff a more isolating tune, could I? I'm positive none of you cholitoz y gringaz out there have ever even heard of The Anniversary, and I don't blame you! I wouldn't have known about them if I didn't become absolutely obsessed with the now classic EmoGame [feat. neglecting my mountainz of college homewerkz].

You basically play as a bunch of famo emo artists and go about saving the world from evil baddiez [IE: Courtney Love, frat guyz and Steven Tyler]. The game is pretty rad and it definitely keeps the genre in check, cuz serial, every st00pid music n00b in the world namedropz the word "emo" wiffout any fuzzing clue as to where it actually came from or what it actually means.

But anyway, even though you fight The Anniversary in one of the levelz, their music is played in the background throughout certain stages, and that's where I first heard of them. Their song "All Things Ordinary" is a synth-soaring, harmonic rockathon anthem! I LOOOOOOVE the grrrl in the group especially! Her voice so cute!



runners-up:
"
Alarm Call" by Björk
"All At Sea" by Jamie Cullum
"Anthems for a Seventeen Year-Old Girl" by
Broke Social Scene
"Autobiography" by Ashlee Simpson


18 comments:

Michelle M. said...

You were right - I had never heard of The Anniversary. But thanks to you, now I have!

"Ashes to Ashes" by David Bowie is my A pick.

Mel said...

Hooray! Excellent pick, and they even have a Shaun Cassidy lookalike.

I still need to think about an A pick, though. 4:30 in the AM isn't the best time for that.

Adam said...

YAY the letter people! I think I still have all my letter people cards from elementary school!

that's J-O-S-H said...

Michelle: David Bowie was kooky and gender-defying before it was the "cool" thing to do [see: Lady GaGogglez & Glamberpuss] so he is always okay in my book!

Mel: You actually liked the song?! WEEEE! I don't know who S. Cassidy is, but after Googling him and rewatching the video, I have to agree! The guitaristo in black DOES look like him [feat. floppy hair].

Adam: I had blow-up Letter people dolls! Ms. A and Mr. C and Mr. P! Although I never got a doll of mah FAVO Letter Person, Ms. U! :(

Tam said...

I've never heard of them or that song either. Very good.

I don't have access to the whole itunes library since I'm at work. (Shhh. Don't tell kay?) But I looked on my ipod. Ack. I have to choose only 1 from A? This was hard.

Okay, I never realized how much Canadian stuff I have, or maybe they just like songs that start with A.

Probably I'll pick my fave today is Ain't Supposed to Be by Ill Scarlett who are Canadian and described as pop infused rock reggae. When I need perked up it works. No official video, too small and unknown.

Some others I have been listening to are:
Acadia - Marianas Trench (Cdn)
Africa - Karl Wolf (Cdn)
All or Nothing - Theory of a Deadman (Cdn)
Almost - Bowling for Soup (yay, Texas - I would have posted the video for this song because it's just a fun one but they bleeped out the words "drunk" and "14" which caused me to almost suffer a brain hemmorage from eye rolling so I thought it best to skip it)
Addicted - Saving Abel (yay for ... Missouri? Well, the unedited version - damn you uptight Americans and your censorship)

This is fun. Can't wait for B.

anne marie in philly said...

ain't too proud to beg - the temptations

(go ahead, google it...I'll wait)

this is going to be fun!

Intense Guy said...

I guess it would be showin' my bad taste if I even hinted to having ever heard "All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow and "Anarchy Burger" by The Vandals...

Some help for you and yoru readers..

https://www.msu.edu/~ovittles/nosmiles/songsa1.htm

john said...

OK, when I was in kindergarten, I can remember being afraid of Mr. M because I thought he was going to munch me.

Love this post, that song was totally fun. Some favorite A songs:

"Apples" by One For The Team
"A&E" by Goldfrapp
"Accident & Emergency" by Patrick Wolf
"Airstream Driver" by Gomez
"All Night Long" by Peter Murphy

Milo said...

"A love that will never grow old" by Emmylou Harris from the soundtrack to Brokeback Mountain.

Were you trying to make me emotional?! If so, it worked.

hoteltuesday said...

I NEVER HEARD THIS SONG.

My choices:
Fave = "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers (and Kris Allen)

Runners-Up:
"Anthems for a Seventeen Year-Old Girl" by Broken Social Scene
"Apologize" by OneRepublic
"All The Things She Said" by t.A.T.u.
"All You Wanted" by Michelle Branch

that's J-O-S-H said...

Tam: That song is fun! I like the calypso island part in the middle! With tastes like yours, I can totally see why you dug my choice!

Anne Marie: Don't underestimate me...I know that song! :D

IntenseSir: "All I Wanna Do" is the only Sheryl Crow song I can stand! Unlike her cover of "The First Cut Is the Deepest" which makes me wanna kill some lives.

Milo: I like that song, though it makes me so sad that I can't breathe or even write depressing poetry!

E. Copterz: I know all he songz you listed and like each of them! Especially t.A.T.u.!

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh, I just went through my music library on my laptop looking at all the awsome "A" songs that I love so much! I was surprised by how many songs begin with the word "all". This was fun...can't wait for "B"!

- "A Woman's Worth"- Alicia Keys
- "All Things Must Pass"- George Harrison
- "All You Want"- Dido
- "All I Ask of You"- Phantom of the Opera
- "Angel of Music"- Phantom of the Opera
- "Are You that Somebody?"- Aaliyah!
- "Almost Cut my Hair"- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

-Cindy

Anonymous said...

And I need to add more to my library, I realized I don't have nearly enough cd's of some of my favorite artists!

-Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh! Hard to say what my favorite A song would be, but the first one that comes to mind is All You Need is Love by The Beatles. Also All I Ask of You from Phantom. I love this ABC music game! Love, mom

Lora said...

no one ever remembers the letter people, and for about 25 years I was convinced that I either a) dreamed it or b) had a sesame street skit misfiled in my brain.

thank you for clearing that up for me!

Melody, Destroyer of Dreams said...

"All Along the Watchtower"

Yay!

David said...

"And She Was" by the Talking Heads as on at the gym yesterday so that's as good as any for me.

Anonymous said...

How could I have forgotten..."Alices Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie. Remember Josh? You saw him do that live when we saw him in that park in Flemington. I think it was the first concert you ever went to, you were 13. By the way, the letter people will always have a special place in my heart, because of you of course.
Love, mom