Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Q+A!

I haven't done a Q+A! entry in quite a long while and I am so utterly sowwy that you folkz have had to wait this long for another. I mean, you probz have so many great tingz to share about yourselves that I am sure you'd lurrrve for me to know. Oh well, I'm sure you survived.

Anywayz...I don't get to watching the televisor too much nowadays. What wiff not having cable, all I really set aside time for is American Idol [aka the blood in mah veinz] that I partake of whenever I force Mr. Pasteeeeeeelnick to let me crash his pad Mr. Pasteeeeeeelnick graciously and of his own accord offerz to let me stay @ his television-equipped place of residence in Brooklyz.

But when I was much younger, I was quite the TV nerd festival. It's utterly a miracle that mis ojos haven't dried up and blown away like dust in da wind, considering the horaz I spent staring blankly into the boobtuberz. Cuz let's be serial, why live when TV can live for you?! Exercising? Nah, I got Baywatch. Making friends? No way, I have Saved By the Bell. Going shopping? Supermarket Sweep, bitchez! Exploring mah sexxxy regionz? Undressed, anyone?! All I ever needed in life I could easily find in that demon box. It wasn't until I got older that I realized what a timesuck TV can be, but before I grew up [read as: got real people resonsibilities...ugh, SICK!], I was also quite dedicated to the mundo of animation, which is why this installment of Q+A! asks...

What Were Your Favorite Childhood Cartoonz?

For mah generation, I feel like there were two kinds of chilledwrenz One group of kidz lurrrved Disney while the other lurrrved Nickelodeon. And since I wasn't a wuss brigade, I obviously partook of the latter. And it was on this glorious channel that I discovered a whole clusterfuzz of characters (tagged the Nicktoonz) that would soon become my most loyal [read as: only] group of amigoz. But let me share wiff you folkz how I remember my favo 'toonz. During my final Sunday double @ the restaurant last month, I got bored waiting for peepz to order, so I drew some of my favorite Nick stars. Letz see how accurately I recalled their appearancez [aka we already know it's gonna be pitiful]...

Doug

This show was about some slightly manic depressed loser nerd festival [read as: foreva virgin] named Doug who no one liked and who looked like a lop-sided nutbag.

Rugrats

This show was about a bunch of lil tart babiez that somehow could speak to one another while going on unrealistic adventures where they were completely under-supervised by their obliviouz parental units.

Ren & Stimpy

This show stars a chiuahuahuahua that looked like a mosquito and a cat that looked like a pillow. It was also the source of all of mah twizzzted, vile and inappropriate sensez of humor growing up.

Rocko's Modern Life

This show was about a kangaroo wallaby that had a mentally challenged dawg. He also had a morbidly obese cow friend [no, not Roseanne] who was the greatest fictitious character ever created. Sorry, Holden Caufield.

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

This show was about a bunch of phallic/unhygienic creatures that ate bugs and tried to scare everyone in the world. Oblina [aka the B&W-striped candy cane wiff googly eyes and whore lips] was mah childhood hero.


So what about you folkz?! What was your absolutely favo fantastico animated cartoon when you were a wee little gringo/a?!

21 comments:

Mel said...

Looney Tunes & Tom and Jerry. 'Cause I iz old (feat. decrepitude).

Blondie said...

Can I just begin by mentioning how special I feel to be one of the few elite peeps lucky enough to see your wonderfully creative works of cartoon mastery in person.. and now about these fabtastic animations..personally, my vote for the best look alike to the real deal, is poor, little "foreva virgin" Douggiie. Poor little guy.. no wonder he always looks so depressed..I'd be depressed too :)
Sheila

Sara said...

rugrats hands down. it was on EVERY night at 8pm on nick!
one time i cried because my family took too long at dinner and i missed the first 10 mins of a new episode ahhh!

Michelle M. said...

Next time let us guess the sketches! I would have gotten one (Ren and Stimpy). Because I'm old like Mel and they're all after my time (when cartoons were only on for a couple hours after school and on Saturday mornings).

Tam said...

Move your walkers over Michelle and Mel.

I was totally addicted to Woody Woodpecker as a little sprout, I also loved Popeye and Bugs Bunny was on every Saturday at 5:00. Big family watching event. Sigh.

Paul said...

for me it was the Super Friends, I can still hear the narrators deep voice in my head
"Meanwhile, back at the Legion of Doom"
And back during the 90's there was a cartoon called Gargoyles that I loved, and it didn't hurt that most of the voices were actors from Start Trek: TNG.

Lora said...

I loved Heckle and Jeckle.

They were crows.
I guess no one else liked them, because they aren't even on reruns anymore.

Polt said...

Ren, you EEEEEEEEEEE-DIOT!

Hee, hee, loved that show.

BUT as a kid, I was, like Paul, all about the Super Friends. Even though I get embarrassed watching them now cause of how freaking cheesy they unfortunately were.

And Paul, wasn't that Ted knight doing the narrator's voice? If not, it sure sounded like him. :)

HUGS....

Polt said...

oops, I just realized it was REN who said ther EEEEE-diot line. Sorry. C'Mon, I was watching cartoons during the Gerald Ford administration, give me props for at least having heard of cartoon in the 90's!

HUGS...

Verifcation word: bundabs. noun. Light touches to a paramour's posterior.

David said...

Well, I would divide my likes by cartoons I loved as a child, and cartoons I devoured as a misfit teen.

As a child I was all about Bugs Bunny, although I did tolerate Tom & Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, Heckle and Jeckle, et al. I also loved the Super Friends, Scooby Doo, and Rocky and Bullwinkle. And of course the entire pantheon of Hanna Barbera cartoons. (Quickdraw McGraw, Magilla Gorilla, Yogi Bear, the Wacky Racers, Sabrina the Teenage Witch - yes it was a cartoon first, Snagglepuss, Speedbuggy, need I go on?)

As a loser-teen, I was consumed with Marine Boy, Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, Thundercats, and similar fare. I mean, it never stopped, I watched through college and into adulthood, and when I found Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, my world exploded.

Word verification is unested: When Josh leaves for work in the morning.

Tam said...

Ohhh. Quickdraw and Baba Looey. They are on Teletoon Retro and my daughter asked me if it was the Pink Panther. I had to enlightern as to the difference between the PP and Snagglepuss. Sheesh. He's a mountain lion, not a panther. Kids these days.

I liked Mr. Magoo too.

Paul said...

yes Polt it was Ted Knight, and I must ask:
Which Superfriends underoos did you have?

M. Nicodemus said...

When I was a wee lad my parents were to self absorbed to actually interact with me, so the TV was my one and only friend and companion.

Needless to say, I watched all the cartoons. ALL. OF. THEM. Smurfs, Snorks, He-Man, She-Ra, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, Battle of the Planets, Voltron (both versions released in the US), Robotech, Sliver Hawks, Yogi Bear, Hong Kong Fooie, Pink Panter, Super Friends, Scooby Doo, Bugs Bunny, Tiny Toons, Gem, Dungons and Dragons, Popeye... I could go on. And on. And on... What ever happend to the 30 second educational blurb they used to have at the end of every cartoon? Seriously, I learned more about how to treat others and how to stop bloody noses from He-Man and Duke than anyone I shared DNA with.

However, I must say that my absolute favorite is one that I didn't get to watch until I was in my late twenties: Invader Zim. That show was freaking awesome!

Melody, Destroyer of Dreams said...

She-Ra, He-Man, Gummi Bears, Smurfs...sigh...

and then there was roudn two when you were going through your cartoon phase-Ren and Stimpy (climb inside my wooorld), Doug, etc.

And now there is phase three: Archer, South Park, ATHF, and....VENTURE BROTHERS FTW!!!!

the naughty butternut said...

Sweetie,

The wee squash lived for The Jetsons. I was a sucker for that International Style architecture, the robot housekeeper, and that tube that would suck you directly over to the Niemann Marcus. Oh, and then there was that fabulous hovercraft. I still want one. Why do we not have those yet?

Polt said...

Paul: you'd think my underoos were SUperman, wouldn't you? Well you'd be wrong! They were Aquaman...he had blonde hair, I had blonde hair. Made sense to my 7 year old mind. And hey, with all the other fashion faux pas going on in the 70's, dressing like someone for their hair color, really wasn't all that bad, eh?

HUGS...

john said...

I love cartoons. I *still* watch them as an adult. Favorites as a kid: Star Blazers, Battle of the Planets and my sentimental favorite: Tom & Jerry, a love I shared with my dad.

In my teens and college years, much like David, I got into a whole new world of cartoons. I watched a ton of anime: Ranma 1/2, Tenchi Muyo, El Hazard, Bubblegum Crisis (best theme music ever!) just to name a few. I also got into Adult Swim and Cartoon Network's other programming. I really loved Power Puff Girls, Dexter's Lab and more recently: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends.

I will also continue to say, that people who poo-poo anime (which is somewhat fair as there is a ton of crap out there) need to watch Death Note. Excellent story and fantastic animation.

Melody: Dude! For real, The Venture Bros. kicks total ASS! I've also gotten a huge kick out of Archer on FX.

anne marie in philly said...

as a little girl - bugs bunny and the jetsons.

as a big girl - ren & stimpy, beavis & butt-head, the critic, robot chicken.

absolutely HATED hanna barbera anything!

yes, I am an old fart too!

Michelle M. said...

David - I watched Sabrina (and the Groovie Ghoulies!) too.
I always enjoyed the Pink Panther (and the music).
I watched Robotech for a bit when I was in high school (while doing homework).

Anonymous said...

Love your drawings, you did a great job drawing them from memory! I was a Strawberry Shortcake freak when I was around 4 years old. You can't beat characters that are based off of desserts. I loved it so much that Mom decorated my whole room with nothing but Strawberry Shortcake decor; this was when we lived in Florida. I loved that room!

Melody: Don't forget Thunder Cats- "Thundercats, ho!".

Aah, Saturday morning cartoons! They were the best.

-Cindy

Melody, Destroyer of Dreams said...

Cindy-I have very loving memories of Thundercats-sigh....