Saturday, March 6, 2010

Oh, here it goes again...

So I peeled my azz outta bed this mañana and turned on my lappytop. And what's the first headline I see on Yahoo! (which is inexplicably still my homepage after 3 years of ditching it as my search engine for Google)?: "Video Masters OK Go Spark Chain Reaction In 'This Too Shall Pass' Video"

I kinda gruffed to mahself and rolled my eyes at this, mainly cuz I was all lyke "Okay, Ok Go, we get it. You make cool single-shot videoz that get spread like S.T.D.s all over the interwebz. Now make SONGS that are just as memorable!"

But I realized I sounded a touch douchey and allowed mahself to take a gander of their new music video before jumping down their gargantaz about how funky & played-out their D.I.Y. videos are getting. By now, I am sure there are prox thousands of blogs that have already written about this video in question, but whatevz, take a look and then let's discuss:

"This Too Shall Pass"



::nom nom:: I'm eating globz upon globz of humble pie right now (it's a tad bitter!). Alright, that video was pretty effing sweeeet. What wiff the dominoes and the marbles and the golf clubs and the cars and umbrellas, paint cannons, tires, pianos, typewriters, barrels, toilet plungers...etc, etc, etc... The guitar part was GENIUZ and I adored the destruction of the TV playing their "Here It Goes Again" video [feat. treadmills]. I'm sure Ok Go got real sick & tired of being asked to perform it live and seeing desperate cholos copycat them @ high school talent showz, so it's cool that they metaphorically SmAsHeD that video into nothingness wiff that sledgehammer.

Also, I LURRRVE Rube Goldberg machines! When I was a tot, I used to shun the world and hide out in my room playing Domino Rally for DAYS [NOTE: watch this commercial and laugh @ :22 when the domino doesn't make it around the loopyloop! Crafty editing!]! Yay!

If you live underneath Mount Rushmore and haven't seen either of Ok Go's other two videos, take a looksie below. Cool d00dz...I'd party wiff dem.

"Here It Goes Again"




"A Million Ways"


12 comments:

callonmevalerie said...

My favorite part of this was the comment to the right of the Domino Rally video - "That rocket thing at the end NEVER WORKED" hahahahaha

hoteltuesday said...

OMG I was the same way. I saw this vid posted on more than 64 websites and was like "What's the big deal?!" And I finally watched and it is pretty sweet. I liked the guitar part too. Sometimes I don't see the relationship between two things happening so I wonder if there were any shortcuts.... HMM...

Tam said...

Wow, that was great. We have a computer game called Amazing Machines where you have to create Rube Goldberg puzzles to solve achieve the objectives. Lots of fun.

Polt said...

I watched it yesterday afternoon and was gonna post it on the Palace, but never got around to it.

Made me laugh, and did you see all the broken TV's piled up after the broke one during the video? Man, you gotta wonder how many tried it took to get this all in one shot!

HUGS...

that's J-O-S-H said...

Val: Haha...what a piece of garbage. Domino Rally for LIFE!

Enrico: Hmm...you and I...similar? Nah, no way.

Tam: That's the game! I was trying to think what the name was of the game I used to play in elementary school when everyone else was of dysentery in "Oregon Trail"!

Polt: I can only imagine how long it took them to get this right. I mean, just look @ all the paint already on the members of the band.

the naughty butternut said...

Sweetie,

This was super niftyness. I'd never heard of them before. I love the domino thingies and think making stuff like this would be the best job ever. Like a Willy Wonka factory but wif weird junks instead of candy.

Anonymous said...

Awsome video! I loved the part with all the multi-colored flags!
Thanks for posting...it brightened my day!

-Cindy

Michelle M. said...

This just make me bitter that I never got the game Mousetrap when I was itty bitty.

that's J-O-S-H said...

Butternaught: I would give all the Fla-Vor-Ice in my fridge (there's a lot) to live in a factory like that! Constant mania!

Cindy: Of course you like the multi-colored flags. Jeebz, your support of my lifestyle is sometimes almost TOO flaterring. :)

Michelle: Mousetrap was the shit and I am planning an entry on it as well.

Adam said...

This is pretty cool! Do you think they filmed it all in one camera take?

Justin said...

I'm sad that Michelle brought up Mousetrap because I was hoping that would be MY contribution :-). I used to love that game when I was a kid!!! There was a LOST episode that featured that game -- I was kind of surprised it still existed.

Chris D. said...

I also saw that this video was getting lots of attention. I eventually watched it, and I did watch it all the way through. I found it interesting. However, I think I am so used to RGMs that I don't get that excited about them anymore.

I wondered why they had paint splattered on them during the video. I guess they had to do a few takes to get everything working.