Friday, January 8, 2010

Sleeping City Soundtrack


I swurr I'm not a cat of copy! I was going to do a series of posts where I highlight the different cornerz of mah music library by discussing what I listen to while I am doing different tingz. But then two of mah bloggy friendz beat me to the punch! In their comments' sections I shared what music I like to write to and what music makes me cry. So since mah two previous ideaz were ripped-raped outta my brain and splashed on those other sites, I flirted (like a cheap slut) wiff the idea of writing a post of my favo Grammy-nominated albums of the year. But then I realized that it was quite obvious. Then I went to sleep [feat. my fucked-up right eye & Baberz curled up next to me like a sweet, beautiful angel!]...

As I am oft to do, I put on some chill-out muzak and zoned out for a bit before letting my corpse of a body log off and hibernate for six horaz. When I woke up it struck me like a bag of boring bricks: I should post about what my favorite sleepy time albumz are! I'm a huge fan of having music playing @ all times and I think that the perfect album can really make a moment feel like sumfing out of a movie [aka what I constantly strive for].

Sometimes @ night when I'm feeling especially reflective [read as: sad and on the verge of tears], and I need to put on some tunez, there are four albums in partix that constantly start to softly ooze outta mah speakerz. Now, let me specify, this isn't boring music [i.e. funky & played-out classical symphony crap], it's music that just has the delicate calmness or mellow darkness that kind of encapsulates the whole feeling of lying in bed @ night. So what are these four albumz?!


Copeland's "You Are My Sunshine" is mah current nighttime obsession and what was playing when I thought about doing this post. Copeland used to be just another one of those alternative pop-rock groupz that I played the taint out of back in college, but wiff their last two albumz they've made an absolutely orgasmic switch into more experimental ambient music.



Radiohead's "Amensiac" is the darker record outta this crew. Hmmm...maybe that's not the right werd...strangest? I dunno. Radiohead is Radiohead and it's quite dificil to astutely extrapalate on their sound. I feel like if mah dreams had a (chart-topping, Grammy-nominated) soundtrack, it would sound just like this album. Hypnotic!



Sigur Rós' "( )" of course had to be mentioned in this entry! My friend used to play this for me all the time when we would hang out late @ night and this album became a constant loop over the summer after I graduated college. More than any other collection mentioned here, this entire album is sumfing that must be experienced start to finish. And not only is Sigur Rós every music critic's wetdream, but they also come from (Fla.Vor.)Iceland aka where the goddess of mah existence is from! THEY'RE FRIENDZ!



This Day & Age's "The Bell and the Hammer" was what got me through many rough nights en la universidad! When I'd be literally ripping mah hairz out (not really, ugh...sick!) ova the paperz and assignments and poems that would get piled up on top of me, I'd Ctrl+P the shit outta this album. The lead singer's voice soundz like lullaby magic and his high notes shake my skeleton!




What about you folkz?!? Do you have any music that you lurrrve to play during the wee hourz? WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO REST YOUR HEAD TO? Teeeeelllllll meeeeee...

19 comments:

Polt said...

As you probably know, I'm all about what's tagged Brit Pop, which includes your aforementioned Radiohead, but also includes Coldplay, The Verve, Keane, and of course Muse. I can listen to any of them at any time.

as an aside, I thought 'funky' was a good thing, but the way you're using it, it sounds derogatory. *SIGH* oh silly youth.... :)

HUGS...

hoteltuesday said...

YAY! BABERZ!!!!!!!!!! E>E>E>E>
You don't want Taylor Swift to win any Grammys??

that's J-O-S-H said...

How'd I forget her?! I blame it on the sour milk I had wiff my granola this morning (I ain't gonna let it go to waste!).

john said...

One of my favorites to listen to at nawny time was "Glow" By The Innocence Mission. I still listen to it occasionally, it is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Oddly enough, I also liked to listen to "The White Room" by the KLF and "Substance" Disc One by New Order. There was something hypnotic about the techo quality of the music.

Tam said...

What happened to your eye punkin? Or were you just winking at yourself? You and Baberz look adorable anyway.

I swear the world is one big coincidence. Just yesterday this author I know (who's not Craig) was telling me I should listen to Sigur Rós when I said I'd never heard of them. She uses it when writing. It sounds vaguely like kittens crying at times. Perhaps that's why you like it.

I don't really listen to music much. At night I prefer some kind of white noise, drowns out the thumping of my neighbors headboard on my bedroom wall. :-P

Laurie said...

The Sundays album "Reading, Writing, & Arithmatic" is all warm & sleepy ....one of my sweetly ethereal late night faves. Sigh. Love it so much.

callonmevalerie said...

I actually have an entire sleep mix that I created in seventh grade, that I still use occasionally. (I used to use it on special occasions, when I wanted to be really relaxed, and then played it too much when I got my iPod so that I got too used to the playlist and focused too much on the music and less on falling asleep.)

It goes:

Fiona Apple - I Know
Tori Amos - Lust
Garbage - Sleep
Squirrel Nut Zippers - Blue Angel
Dido - Here With Me
Beck - Nobody's Fault But My Own
Moby - Porcelain
Beatles - Michelle
Annie Lennox - Don't Let It Bring You Down
Joni Mitchell - River
Garbage - Milk
Sneaker Pimps - Six Underground
Fiona Apple - Please Send Me Someone To Love
Dido - My Life
Tori Amos - Cooling
Squirrel Nut Zippers - It Ain't You
No Doubt - Too Late (Instrumental)
Billy Joel - Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)

I don't listen to it that much anymore, unless I'm already really tired, because I can't really have background music, because I always focus on it.

Michelle M. said...

I can't fall asleep with music playing. Classical or New Agey/Windam Hill stuff calms me down. I find James Taylor's voice to be soothing.

that's J-O-S-H said...

Polt: Sure..."funky" is old peepz terminology for "cool" or "stylish"...but let me put it this way: If someone is all lyke "OmGaWdz! That whore's taint smelled effing FUNKY!" you wouldn't think they meant it was @ all an enjoyable aroma. It probably smelled like old rotting sock filled wiff sour clam juice [aka NOT a good thing].

John: Mellow electro music hypnotizes me too! Then people take advantage of my vulnerable state and I wake up naked and crying! Weeeee!

Tam: Sigur Ros DOES sound like cute little animals crying! Maybe it's cuz they make up their language when they sing! And my right eye always shutz and gets squinty when I am tired. Lazzzy fool!

Laurie: I've heard of them and have been wanting to hear someone's exxxpert opinion! I trust yours so maybe I'll check 'em out now!!!!!

Val: I remember that mix! I LOVE "Porcelain" by Moby, though not as much as "Natural Blues" [feat. music video wiff old peepz home and an angel Christina Ricci]!

Michelle: I LOVE James Taylor [aka sang a chorale arrangement of "That Lonesome Road" @ mah high school graduation]!

Jere Keys said...

Most nights I listen to meditation tracks to fall asleep. They also help me keep a positive outlook, de-stress, and let go of anything I've been obsessing over all day. Otherwise, if I'm not in the mood to have someone tell me when to breathe, I'll just listen to whatever slow-tempo playlist I've got handy.

Justin said...

?!?!?!?! Why do my posts here keep not posting? It was such a nice post too. Harrumph. Recreating from memory:

Like Michelle I can't really fall asleep to music. I went through a period of using classical, especially small intimate chamber pieces, like the Mozart clarinet quintet. But I never use music to fall asleep by anymore.

I love Coldplay and Verve. I can't stand Muse. Reminds me of Queen. Gives me horrible flashbacks of the 70s. I don't want to relive the 70s.

Speaking of the 70s, that was the last time the word "funky" was used in a positive way to MY knowledge -- aren't even YOU a tad bit young, Polt, to remember that?

I love Porcelain by Moby and a lot of other songs of his too. As for Sigur Rós, my bestest twitter friend / bffl Ben from Leeds in England (@bm88) **JUST** introduced me to them the day before yesterday -- Hoppipolla. LOVE that song. Love the video!

Jere - I'm impressed you use meditation music. I have a lot of trouble shutting my mind off.

I remember James Taylor from when he had hair and was still cute. I never much cared for his music though, I'm afraid.

Josh - who knew you had such big ol' biceps? ;-)

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

I haven't read the post - but saw the pix and thought ahhhhhh so cute - so I thought I'd say as much :)

Justin said...

SSD -- agreed :-) *V* cute.

Just want to give that face a smooch! And if I wasn't allergic I'd kiss the cat, too ;-)

that's J-O-S-H said...

Jere: Are those @ all like the Bikram Yoga CDs that I find everywhere around mah house tanx to mah housemate?! Is there a lot of "ohm"ing?!

Justerz: Your ears are SO LUCKY that you finally discovered the heavenly beauty of Sigur Ros! And mah bicep isn't big! The only exercising I do is jogging and not eating, neither of which werk on upper body strength!

Soul Seared: I know, right?! Isn't that moon sooooo adorz?!?

Anonymous said...

I don't fall asleep to music anymore, but back in the day I did often. My favorite late night music was the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" album. I fell asleep many a night to that one. I would also nod off to Cat stevens, Elton John, and Joni Mitchell. Might I add that my favorite "try to stay awake all night so I can study for these damn exams" album was by far none other than Pink Floyd-"Dark Side of the Moon". Note I say "album" because there were no such thing as CD's in those days. By the way, I really like that "Coldplay" song. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

What a mistake I made! I meant "Copeland", not "Coldplay". Oh well, such is life, especially chugging down a big fat glass of red wine at the end of a very long day! Love, Mom

hmwhat said...

I just downloaded the Copeland cd because of your entry, and I'm crazy about it. I used to listen to them 4 or 5 years ago, because I was obsessed with the song "Brightest", but haven't listened to them since. Now I'm hooked. Thanks a lot.

that's J-O-S-H said...

hmwhat: YAY! You don't know how happy it makes me to hear that you a) DLed the CD and b) enjoy it. I love "The Day I Lost My Voice (Suitcase Song)!!!" As for old school Copeland, I am in LOVE wiff "When Paula Sparks" and "Coffee." They are fantastico!

dcm said...

My all-time favorite sleep music is an album called "All is Well," by Sam Amidon. A lot of people think I'm weird for liking it, but he recorded a lot of old Appalachian folk songs in his incredibly mellow, low-key way, and I find it instantly hypnotizing. "Time Without Consequence" by Alexi Murdoch is a close substitute for Amidon when I'm getting slightly tired of it, but it never takes more than a week before I'm spinning it up again as mon tete hits tha pillowz.

My word verification is "cychic." Is this a rather stylish bicyclist, or one with ESP(N)?