Friday, January 29, 2010

Go into the light...

It's a very sad day in my heart. Two peepz that had chiseled away at mah nostalgia-ridden mind past away two days ago. Actress Zelda Rubinstein and author J.D. Salinger post hopped a train to Magic Cloud City on the 27th, leaving me pissed that two personaz that I remember from mah younger yearz had to be ripped from the world. I thought I'd take my entry today to pay some mad propz to these individualz for making mi vida so much more rad.


"I don't even know what I was running for - I guess I just felt like it."

So Mr. J.D. Salinger is well-known as the genius that wrote mah favo book of all time, The Catcher in the Rye [feat. title wiff the best metaphor ever]. I remember reading that libro back when I was still in high school and having mah whole life get turned on its noggin. Since this was an 11th grade English class, no one other than myself seemed to give a hoot about reading the books assigned to us, and my teacher knew this. About halfway through the semester, she gave up on even asking any of the other dumboz in mah class any questionz and each day would basically become a conversation between she and I about this symbol or that passage. R.I.P. J.D. Tanx for Holden Caufield, wiff whom I spent many an angsty night of adolescence channeling and tanx for an amazing book, that pretty much changed my life. You sir, were a badazz.


"This house is clean."

Anyone who was breathing in the 1980s know what Poltergeist [not feat. the sequelzzz] is and how it totally rocked the hell outta their minds when they saw it. The killer tree, the corpse swimming pool, the kitchen chair scene, the guy in the mirror, the closet demon (and worst of all) the clown doll under the bed...these were all iconic parts to the biggest terror shitshow of my earliest years. But none of that movie would have had any affect on anyone if it wasn't for the lady above. Zelda Rubinstein played Tangina who is a psychic hired by some retard family to save their daughter who's been kidnapped by an evil spirit that lives in the TV. Grrrlfriend is the best part of the movie wiff her boding visions, gremlin stature and freaky old lady baby voice. In real life, she lurrrrrved the gays and it's clear that they love her since I've seen 4 different blogs wiff dedications to her in the past few days. R.I.P. Zelda, tanx for helping us get our daughter!





Booo! I hate when people I like die!

19 comments:

Adam said...

I think I read Catcher in 10th grade. I was in a class of bums, thugs and a-holes that never did any work and we were assigned to read a chapter or two and I read the whole book in 1 night. It's an amazing book, and it's because of that book that I majored in English in college. RIP Jerome :(

john said...

I may regret this, but I'll say it. I hated "Catcher In The Rye". Totally overrated. I do feel bad for the man's passing and I won't deny his talent. I just don't like the book.

I feel bad for Zelda too. From what I read, she was very sick and it is nice to know she is no longer suffering.

Tam said...

I've never read Catcher in the Rye. I did hear an interview with his daughter yesterday on the radio (or part of it) and he seems to have been quite the character. If you were reading a book he hated and he caught you, he would refuse to speak to you ever again, not just for a day or a week, but he'd cut you out of his life completely. Wow.

I'm sorry to hear about Zelda. She uttered some truly memorable lines that are part of the pop culture. "This house is clean". Not that mine ever has been. :-P

Brian said...

The Onion has a great obit. for Salinger:

http://theonion.com/content/news/bunch_of_phonies_mourn_j_d

David said...

Because of the academic tier I was in, my English class track never read Catcher in the Rye in high school. We read Alas, Babylon instead. Never got around to reading it on my own.

Poltergeist scared the beejeebus out of me and is usually the movie I give as an example of the limits of my tolerance for movie gore and terror. Zelda was one of the treats of that film, though.

Laurie said...

"It was that kind of a crazy afternoon, terrifically cold, and no sun out or anything, and you felt like you were disappearing every time you crossed a road."

--Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye

And as for you Ms. Rubinstein, I never saw Poltergeist (I know, horrors!!! ...but scary movies SCARE ME!!!! and I no likey!)BUT somehow I totally know who you are and your voice was perfectly creepy and you were really good at what you did too--especially if Josh says so.

It is a sad day ...but I'm really glad you both lived.

Tam said...

I just realized that Poltergeist was the first date I went on with my ex. Foreshadowing? It wasn't quite a horror movie and at least no one got sucked into another dimension during the relationship.

hoteltuesday said...

We've discussed this I think, but I'm with John. Catcher has some great moments, but overall I didn't find it life changing. It was decent though. And Salinger interests me since he became a recluse. I'm always interested by recluses!! I wonder how much of the stuff he's been writing in the past few years will come out now...

BOSSY said...

Tangina... that's her name? Geesh. What kind of a name is that? What's it rhyme with?

Polt said...

Ironically enough, I have never seen Poltergeist. Seriously.

And that little woman, well I don't know her from this movie obviously, but didn't she play the organist in "16 Candles" that squeaked when she walked?

HUGS...

Ray Avito said...

Ahhh, Zelda! I'm thinking I want to see Poltergeist again now...

"...gremlin stature..." *chuckling*

that's J-O-S-H said...

Adam: "The Catcher In the Rye" was also one of the three reasons why I wanted to be an English major in college. The others were "The Great Gatsby" and a really hot tattooed high school English teacher I had.

John: YOU think it's overrated. I think it's brillz.

Tam: I love how much of a crazzzy bitch Salinger was! I want to be judgmental and reclusive like him when I get old and bitter!

Brian: Written by Mr. Caufield himself.

David: She was the epitome of a "treat!" So small and funny and adorable! Her one-liners are what made that movie sooooooooo good. "I don't like trick answers." Aaaaah! So sassy!

Laurie: I read quotes like what you just posted and can't understand how peepz can read it and not feel anyting Jeebz...is everyone made out of stone?!

E. Copterz: Right? Whenever authors die, I am always curious as to what hidden wonders they have stowed away in the bowels of their writing drawers.

Bossy: Vagina.

Polt: I don't know if she was in that movie, but I'ma hafta Netflix it. It soundz lika role she would portray!

Ray: Me too! I'm mad pizzad @ mahself for not owning it!

madtexter ☺☺☺☺☺☺ (corey james) said...

Okay, you've convinced me. I think I shall go back and re-read 'Catcher' because of your comments on my blog. I promise to use a fresh pair of eyes this time.

Cheers!

the naughty butternut said...

Sadly, I can't remember the story. It's been too many years since I read it, so I'll have to give it another go.

I just wanted to say hi and that I've been reading your blog for the past few days. I love the Josh pidgin and your phrasing is fabulous. I think I got to your page through JoeMyGod via Someone in a Tree. Delightful surprise.

Best,

the naughty butternut

Craig said...

I need to read Catcher in the Rye again. I don't remember being that crazy about it in high school. But then again, required reading is never fun and I may not have done it.

mkf said...

it's been my experience that the people who don't get "the catcher in the rye" are those unrealistic types who approach it expecting to be blown away like folks were back in 1950 or whenever, instead of merely appreciating the great writing and universal truths it has to offer.

and funny you should mention "gatsby"--a friend of mine downloaded it from audible last week, can't shut up about it and is gonna burn me a copy. i haven't read it since high school, so i'm looking forward to it.

that's J-O-S-H said...

MadTexter: Pay extra attention to the title's metaphor! Heart-wrenching!

Naughty Kabocha: Tanx for the sentiments! Much appreciated!

Craiggerz: I love ALL reading! Unless it's science/history/math-related. SNOOOOOOOORE BRIGADE!

MKF: That first paragraph is exactly what pisses me off! People build up these novels into sumfing they aren't and then are disappointed when they actually read them, instead of simply experiencing and enjoying them.

Melody, Destroyer of Dreams said...

well you know my love of both of these topics.

Anonymous said...

Very sad that we lost these two talented people. The world also lost another superb individual on that day...a person that had an impact on my life, as well as millions of others- Howard Zinn. Howard was a Historian, a professor, an author, and an activist. He spoke for the people, and played a vital role in both the cival rights and anti war movements of the 60's and 70's. He wrote the best selling book "A People's History of The United States", which tells the TRUE history of our country from the people who suffered...the Indians, the slaves, the poor, etc. I'm very sad that we lost him,he will be missed. Sad to think that these three die in one day, when there are so many useless jerks still alive! Good post Josh. Love, mom