Saturday, December 5, 2009

And the nominees are...


In an hora, I'm heading out wiff my sister to visit mi otra hermana, but before I jet I thought I should make a brief commentary on this year's Grammy Awards. Since muzak is mah life's obsession and the one ting I lurrrve more than everything else en el mundo combined as well as what I spend three dayz a week workin' in, it can be imagined that I was waitin' with baited breath for the nominations to be announced on Wednesday. I was out wiff David, seeing a play he helped with (Orpheus X - intensely imaginative, devastatingly thought-provoking), when the nominationz were put up. I got a message from mah BFFLz Enrico telling me that "Sober" by the goddess of my existence, P!nk, scored a surprise ballot! So of course as soon as we left for dinna, I Googled that shit on mah phone!

AND YAY! For the first time in forevz...I am actually quite pleased wiff this year's selection. Of course Lady GaGogglez [feat. blatant & desperate fame-whoring] got a bajillion nominations and Beyoncé predictably got the highest number of potential statues, but some of mah favorite artists of the year also got nodz: P!nk, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, MGMT, Kelly Clarkson...while some artists that I have a special professional connection wiff also got a fair showing! YAY!

Congratz to everybody I like! Let's all be sure to keep our fingaz crossed for "Funhouse" to win Best Pop Vocal Album (and yes, I am the person who added "Grammy-nominated" to the first sentence on that Wiki page)!

9 comments:

Tam said...

I hate when one or two artists get a million nominations in every category (Children's music, rap and yodeling as well) just because they are "famous". I wish they'd spread he love a bit more and not just pick whoever is most popular. There is lots of good music, or great that is just as good as Beyonce (whom I don't really care for) or Gaga (who annoys me to no end).

Polt said...

I don't know that I've heard more than one song from any of these people...where's Muse's nominations? :)

HUGS...

that's J-O-S-H said...

Tam: I hear ya...for once, U2 or Coldplay didn't completely ruin my life [read as: dominate da nominations].

Polt: It can be difficult for artists from other countries who aren't HUGE successes in the US to get nominations. And if you don't know a lot of these artists, there's always time to expand your musical spectrum.

hoteltuesday said...

So happy for KC! Although My December should have won Album of the Year....
I'm nervous about best pop vocal album but I would be happy with almost any of those peepz winning. BEP should be disqualified for attacking Perez.

Milo said...

Oops, haven't heard of any of those artists other than Pink who Enrico has mentioned on his blog. Wouldn't have heard of them either unless I read his blog.

David said...

Even though I am still at the remedial level in my contemporary pop music education (although the learning curve isn't too steep when you interact a lot with someone who discusses it 24/7) I must admit that this is probably going to be the first year I actually care about what happens at the Grammys.

P!nk!

goblinbox said...

Your post made me think about musicians and the Grammys:

Here's the scenario, yo. I spent about five hours last night completely surrounded by professional musicians (I'm talking people who have played with big names, toured extensively, and done studio work, some of them for more than thirty years), and not a single one of us even mentioned the Grammys.

It is considered the very pinnacle of musical success to get a Grammy, but the vast majority of real, working players I know don't care who wins let alone bother to even watch the awards.

But when they talk about people they've worked with, like this player or that producer, they always mention if said person has won a Grammy.

Hmm. Weird. It's like the Grammys are irrelevant except for bragging rights.

I haven't watched the Grammys myself since the first year they held them in a f#$%ing stadium and everything sounded like total crap.

HELLO? WHO HAS A MUSIC SHOW - ARGUABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT SHOW OF THE YEAR - IN THE WORST POSSIBLE ACOUSTICS EVER? WTF? I THOUGHT YOU PEOPLE WERE PROFESSIONAL FREAKING MUSICIANS?!?

that's J-O-S-H said...

E. Copterz: If [aka "when"] BEP wins that award, I'ma start screaming & fighting [feat. not kissing in the rain].

Milo: Wellz...it's a good ting I provided handing linkz to their nominated material!

David: Hanging out wiff a youngster like me must be enlightening you greatly!

GolbinBox: Being that I work in music publicity three days a week, I totally understand and appreciate the value of the Grammy. Being voted for and nominated by those in the music world is quite an accomplishment and is a PR person's wet dream. A Grammy = recognition and widespread approval for one's work, thus prompting a further evaluation of the artist's musical ability and promising future interest in the artist's later endeavors. Plus, for a pop culture junkie like me, it is HEAVEN.

Ray Avito said...

Muse does have some really great stuff out that nobody wants to hear when I play it on the jukebox. **confused by that**

Now I must play that Kelly Clarkson song at least 10 times before my boss gets in...