Saturday, November 28, 2009

I used to work at the record store.

[HAVE YOU VOTED FOR THIS WEEK'S MONDAY MUSE OF 2009 POLL?!]

Nearly two weekz ago mah BFF Enrico came over to mah house to gozzip about rando crap and to watch the clips from Katy Perry's MTV Unplugged performance online. Of course it was vundervill, what wiff her singing "Thinking Of You" [aka the song I listened to on repeat when mah ex ripped mi corazon out last January] and her jazzy rendition of "I Kissed a Girl." But the performance that really filled mah earholes with burning desire was a cover she did of a Fountains of Wayne song. Yeah, those are the choloz that had that semi-catchy yet totally annoying "Stacy's Mom" bullshit that was out a few yearz back.

Anywhooo, the song is called "Hackensack" and I find it to be unbelievably understated & oddly charming. So much so that I felt a need to post the track [feat. crude animated video] below. Katy's version is below as well!

[Note: They sound great when synched up together! Start the F.O.W. video when Katy's video is at :08 seconds.]





14 comments:

Jere Keys said...

They do sound neat played at the same time.

David said...

Ditto w/ Jere. I love it when covers show more of an artist's versatility than their own stuff does.

Dave2 said...

Sometimes music covers are pointless, because the artist just mimics the original. Katy is doing her own thing here, and it sounds glorious! I always like hearing new interpretations of old favorites.

Ryan said...

They synced up into a nice duet. I was surprised that I got that to work the very first time.

Tam said...

That was kind of cool together. I'm not a huge KP fan, she needs a stylist who will tell her hot pants are so over.

goblinbox said...

IMO, her cover was in no way a thoughtful creative extension of the original. She just... covered it. Verbatim. Yawn.

She has a really cool voice, though, so she can pretty much sing anything and it'll sound good. What an instrument!

that's J-O-S-H said...

Jere: Especially near the end when they sing on and off the chorus refrain wiff one another. I should be a mix-masta!

David: I lurrrve when Katy showz her sensitivo side [aka "Thinking of You" (feat. a million Josh tearz)]!

Dave2: Her voice gave it a unique warm rawness to the song that I feel originally had a more somber tone.

Ryan: I was surprised how well they synched-up togethz.

Tam: She needz a stylist that promotes a bigger wardrobe of fruit-themed outfitz. Lurrrvez it!

GoblinBox: As Paula would say, "She can sing the telephone book!"

David said...

Whenever someone says "She can sing the phone book," I think of this video. Especially hilarious si tu parle le francais:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56LHposVPOo

PS my word verification is "undyin," like my undyin' love for Josherz' blog.

Sven said...

Katy didn't do much with it but who cares - it's a super cute melancholy little ditty and I loved it. Fun to sync them up too. I wonder what else we could do this with...

john said...

Not a huge fan of Katy, but I have to admit, that these two videos do make a very pretty duet.

Michelle M. said...

That is a sweet little song. I liked the duet better than either of the versions.

David said...

I lived in Kinnelon for a few years and I would pass the actual Fountains of Wayne store every time I'd drive into Nueva Neuva.

Yay! The synching of the two was really cool.

goblinbox said...

I think it's technically called a mashup, actually, what you've done here, mashing two things together.

that's J-O-S-H said...

David: Hahah funny. Next time she should in sumfing I understand though aka English or intoxicated Spanish.

Sven: I am totez on the look out for more mashupz!

John: Yay! I lurrrve when an artist I liked proves themselves to be more than what people originally thought!

Michelle: Well, I like you better than either of their solo versionz, as well!

Pasteeeeeelnick: What stores? They had their own store or did they name their band after it?

GoblinBox: Your sassiness utterly terrifies me.