Sunday, April 26, 2009

Great to be a part of the greatest jackoff in history.


I knew it was in us to be superheroes and that we could become superheroes or nothing.


GLORIOUS DAY! Everyone get off your skank-asses and celebrate. I finally finished Tom Wolfe's "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test". I am most definitely a terrible graduated English major that does not deserve his B.A. due to the fact that it took my roughly three months to read this damn book. But the sun has shone and the birdz are singing their annoying chirping songz!

As mentioned earlier, I had a bipolar relationship with Mr. Wolfe's work of drug-induced nonfiction; initially enjoying its craziness, I began to get lost in its sporadic writing style, beginning to find it to become quite repetitious and tedious. However! After getting to the final third of the book, I once again found myself hooked into the piece and was able to finish it without any trouble...dare I say with excitement?

Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters seem like a fun bunch and I wouldn't mind to take a day-glo bus ride with them for a summer or so. But I feel like a lot of the book's content is so based in this alternately based mental frame, that it can be easy to get led off of its point and get frustrated with its chaos.

However, being a fan of nonfiction, I am most certainly glad that I read it and I am very happy to now have the time to seplunk my ass through the caverns of unread books that are growing dust in my room.

Here are some quotes that I picked up out "TEK-AAT" that I found particularly note-worthy:


"...the urge to write, to create, had burst up through all this thick lumpy All-American crap somehow..."


"There is no way to describe how beautiful this discovery is, to actually see the atmosphere you have lived in for years for this first time and to feel that it it is inside of you, too, flowing up from the heart, the torso, into the brain, an electric fountain."


"By this time everybody is off the bus rolling in the brown grass by the shoulder, laughing, giggling, yahooing, zonked to the skies on acid, because, mon, the woods are burning, the whole world is on fire..."


"The town was full of solemn, spent, irritable people shit-kicking thei way down the sidewalks. A shit kicker is a guy with a frown on and his eyes on the ground, sloughing forward with his shoes scuffing the pavement like he's kicking horseshit out of the way saying oh that this should happen to me."


"In short, zonked out of their ever-loving gourds, man, and heading out toward . . . Edge City. absolutely, and we're truly synched tonight."


"Always nice to hire some help to commit suicide."


"Dee couldn't exactly ask the tow-truck man, Well, now that you've towed it up here, how about jamming it into a tree for me."


"...all sortsa jungle shit; itching crawling alive like a chigger-ridden groin; all manner exotic vermin; sting inflame chigger-blister mosquito heaven, with scorpion for good measure coming up outta the dung just like lobsters as the crab louse is to the crab."


"...and it is either maker this thing permanent inside of you or forever just climb draggled up into the conning tower every time for one short glimpse of the horizon."




No comments: